Friday, July 31, 2020

High Summer in Arizona

We have always feared summer in the greater Phoenix area, so it has been surprising that we truly are not miserable here. Yes, we’ve had high temperatures...
...but since July is the hottest month and we are ready to step into August, it looks like we’ll survive it. Bob still spends some time outside with his power tools yet as long as he can duck inside to cool down every so often, he says it’s fine. And I’m happy as long as I have my hobbies! We still swim once or twice a week in the park’s pool. The water is like bath water and at about 5:00 pm we have the place to ourselves. It’s divine!

Bob has been building on his wood turning skills and this month he made me a beautiful rolling pin.
This is bloodwood and maple, with a little purpleheart for the inlay swirls. He made the holder, too, so the pin could be displayed. Isn’t it gorgeous?
He also made this candleholder from a piece of the bloodwood using maple inlay.

I’ve been working on my freehand quilting skills this month and have finished this panel quilt as a practice piece.
It will come with us in the motorhome when we travel. I like having maps around.

I’ve been knitting lots, too. I made this family set of dolls for Jillian...
...and this Cinderella set for Quinn and Eve...
...while Silas got this dinosaur to play with.
I also appliquéd a little onesie for a soon-to-be-born great nephew.
Plus I’m still working on weaving dish towels on my Macomber loom and lots of masks continue to go out!

We have another month until people start to make their way back to the park here. Most seasonal folks return around October but the season officially starts in September so things will start to change. For one thing, we won’t be the only ones on our block anymore! Half of the park is typically made up of Canadians but it does not look like they’ll be back for a while because of Covid-19. The heat will start to dissipate but activities probably won’t resume for a while. No one knows what fall will be like here. We’ll take it as it comes.


No comments:

Post a Comment