Thursday, September 16, 2021

All Settled In and Making Things

It took Bob and me pretty much all week to move our things into the motorhome, but it’s all done. Since that time we have remained busy. One of the ice plants in front of our house didn’t survive the summer heat when the little tube bringing water to it got clogged. We have a battery-powered watering system to water a couple of time a week that worked quite well otherwise. Bob dug up the dead plant and replaced it with another yellow-blossomed ice plant, and also added a pink one in the center. I’ll post photos when it starts to bloom. We also put out our little wooden pig that we bought in Mexico.

With all the improvements we’ve made on this place we hadn’t yet tackled the bedroom closet doors. They are old, rather ugly sliding doors that scrape across the bottom of the track each time we want to open the closet. We had resigned ourselves to losing the drawers under the base of the closet, too. But then Bob found doors from Home Depot that can be special-ordered to the exact size we need, so the drawers will be staying and there will be minimal work to install everything. The doors should be here in about three weeks.

The other big ticket item we have in the works is having the two chairs in the motorhome recovered. My reclining chair has taken quite a beating over the last few years and the faux leather upholstery has been flaking off. We found a local upholstery fellow that has 30 years of experience and next week we’ll drive the RV to his shop so he can re-cover them. It should only take a few days to do it, too.

On our last week of traveling I started a little pin loom weaving project using a Wunderwag 6” pin loom, and I finished it in just a few days. 

I’ve been sewing a lot. My nice Bernina 480 sewing machine has been in the shop for its annual Spa Day and I came across a simpler machine that will be a backup when I can’t use it. The new one is weighs less and will be handy if I take a sewing class. It’s a Bernina 215 and she’s a sweet little thing. She takes all of my 480’s feet, too, so that saves a lot of money. I sewed up this little bag to hold all of her parts.

I also made this little Happy Cat, which is a free online pattern by Ann Wood, found here. Oh, and see the black stand that raises up the TV so that our DVD player slides underneath? Bob made that, too.

Bob has his lathe set up and made me this beautiful pressing tool out of a piece of Osage orange wood he had. This is nice to do a quick press of seams without going over to an iron as I sew things up.

And lastly, I made this knitted hat and scarf set for Jillian out of some yarn I had in my stash. It was a very soft, squishy knit.


So you see we have been very busy, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment