Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Wildlife in South Jersey

We have seen a bit of wildlife around here lately. Despite this part of south Jersey being pretty built up, and we are in a neighborhood full of houses, a family of turkeys walked through the yard last week.
Mama and her thirteen babies strolled majestically past our window. The chicks looked newly hatched and are pretty hard to see in this picture. A few days later we saw Mama again but she had only one chick with her. I suppose predators had gotten to the others. Wild turkeys are not seen very often around here and I would assume modern life is not kind to them.
We also had this visitor to my daughter’s back yard. This groundhog, or woodchuck as we used to call them, ran to the back corner of the property when we came through the gate. After a while he found his way out and we haven’t seen him since.

Recently Bob and I visited a Camping World and found this little switch.

It attaches to the underside of our under-bed compartment (the bed lifts up to access storage) with a screw-mount. It is bright enough to illuminate the whole area so I can find what I’m looking for. I’m going to have to get a few more of these!

Now that I can see my sewing supplies under the bed, I decided to make granddaughter Jillian a purse. It’s a simple pattern I found here.
I used fabric I had purchased near Walt Disney World, and I’m very happy with how it came out. Jillian was, too. She immediately put it over her head and didn’t want to take it off.

On Friday Bob dropped me off at daughter Catherine’s house so he could visit his friends in north Jersey. Catherine, the kids, Auggie, and I went to Pitman, NJ’s Fourth Friday festival with son Tim and daughter-in-law Bernie.
We ate at A Fresh Start, a sandwich and salad shop with outdoor seating, enjoying yummy paninis and salads. Most of the shops were open (and dog friendly, too!) and we enjoyed strolling around. Alaura Kitchen tempted us with homemade ice cream (she even makes a vegan version that is to-die-for!) and we chatted with the man on stilts walking around town. I loved it all.

It’s not any too early to be making summer reservations for campgrounds so last week I settled in and firmed up our August and early September plans. We’ll be spending time in Portsmouth, RI, Monson, MA, Rhinebeck, NY, W. Chazy, NY, Montpelier, VT, Shelbourne Falls, NH, and Orono, ME. The plan is to visit family and friends, see the FDR Library, cross the border into Montreal for a day trip, and drive up Mt Washington. Plus, I think I’ll be able to get a visit in to WEBS, to Vävstuga’s store, and to Macomber Looms. I’m very excited! We’ll be back well before daughter Emily’s September 30th due date.


No comments:

Post a Comment