Friday, March 17, 2017

Sanguinetti House

We've had a lovely week here in Yuma. Activities are winding down, temperatures are rising, and the pace is relaxed. The Canadians have started their end of winter migration back home, although they complain about it continually. It's still COLD up north!

Bob and I have been enjoying the 95 degree highs by swimming almost daily in the resort's pool. He has discovered, however, that he appears to be sensitive to the chlorine so he may not be able to continue to enjoy the pleasant waters here.

On Saturday we had another dinner/movie night, dining at Famous Dave's Bar-B-Que and then taking in the movie La La Land afterwards. It was a good movie with a lot of neat special effects, but not as good as Hidden Figures the week before.

The pastor at the local church has begun to preach what he views as the only true political party for believers, which has really turned me off as I know many Christians of both parties. So with great reluctance I have decided to leave the choir here. I don't like the way I'm made to feel like there's something wrong with me because I lean a certain way politically.  At least I had a lovely time singing all winter. I will definitely join another choir if I get a chance.

On Wednesday Bob and I visited the Sanguinetti House Museum & Gardens in Yuma.
It was the 19th century home of E. F. Sanguinetti, called the Merchant Prince of Yuma. Run by the Arizona Historical Society, the museum chronicles life in the late 1800s in Yuma.
The Museum has a lovely gift and antique shop, with very reasonable prices. I love antiques!
  
For $5 apiece we were given a tour of the museum with a storyteller. One thing we learned was that the chamber pot was originally called the Bourdaloue, after the French priest Louis Bourdaloue. His sermons were so long that women brought their chamber pots so they would not have to leave church.
Bob and I learned about the art of photographing the deceased. In this photo, one of the figures is a dead body. Which one? We were told it is the woman sitting down, as it would be difficult to pose a dead person standing.
My grandparents had a pump organ much like this one in their living room when I was growing up.  I remember playing with it. Ah, memories!
The dining room features an original ceiling hade from branches covered with mud. We were told that when the wind blows, dirt falls between the cracks still.

I've been knitting up dish cloths in my spare time, and hope to have a selection ready so that my children can choose a few when we get to NJ.
They are fun to knit. Here are links to the patterns:
The yellow and mint ones.
The square blue ones in the upper right.
And the variegated blue flower one.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!




No comments:

Post a Comment