Friday, October 6, 2017

The Great Salt Lake

I’m having trouble getting my photos from my camera to my blog. I’ve been so spoiled, using my iPhone camera and Google Photos—pictures sync automatically and I can easily access them on my iPad, where I write the blog posts. Our computer has a card reader port but it has been inconsistent in sending my images to Google Photos. First world problems, to be sure! I’ll figure it out.

We visited Salt Lake State Park on Wednesday. The wind was blowing fairly hard, kicking up a lot of sand which you may see in some of my pictures. 


There are no fish in Great Salt Lake. In fact, the only organisms that can tolerate the high salt content are brine shrimp, brine flies, algae and bacteria. The brine shrimp and brine flies feed on the algae and help keep the lake clear. Migratory birds feed on the shrimp and flies, making this lake an important route on their migrations.

It’s also very smelly here, because of the brine shrimp. We had to keep a close watch on Auggie to make sure he didn’t roll in the smelly sand, and he needed a bath when we got home.
Apparently, one can camp here in an RV. Full hookups, too. But I think the smell and the crowds would bother me.
After leaving the lake, we drove around Salt Lake City a bit. There are some beautiful buildings, and we located the genealogical library...just steps from the light rail stop. Bob’s back was bothering him on Thursday, but we hope to make it to the library before we leave SLC.

No comments:

Post a Comment