Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Moosehead Lake

On Saturday the campground hosted Trick or Treat night and the kids (and adults) turned out in droves. This is Trick or Treating, campground-style.

Weekends at this campground are noisy, smoky, and lacking in a strong enough electrical service but in a few days we will be leaving. Plus Labor Day is behind us so all is good. We always breathe a sigh of relief when summer officially ends and we have the campground to ourselves again except for fulltiming RVers who usually know how to be courteous neighbors. Note to weekend RVers: you may have come to the campground to party hard with your friends but not everyone wants to hear your loud music and barking dogs, and breathe your smoke-producing campfires.

Just a moment, now, while I step carefully off my soapbox so as not to break a hip, old fogey that I am.

Bob and I took a drive on Friday up to Moosehead Lake and the town of Greenville, Maine. This is truly God’s country, filled with lakes and mountains and relatively few people. We turned into Lily Bay State Park on a whim, just to drive around. I said to Bob, “Look, if it costs more than $5 to get in, let’s turn around because all we want to do is drive through it.” So when the ranger told us it would be $6 per person I explained we were just looking and she said, “Well, in that case if you want to pay $2 you can come in.” We’ve never had a state park ranger offer to lower the price before! So we drove around. They had a very nice boat launching area as well as a swimming beach and campground with no hookups. It looked like a very nice spot to go for a day with a family.

We drove on, keeping our peepers peeled for a moose without any luck, but the views were worth the trip.

I ran into the Greenville fabric store and bought myself new fabric. It was a lovely day.

On Saturday Bob went golfing and I sewed up a caddy for my iron, which I am tickled pink with. I plan to make another one for our Mesa home.
It opens to make a pressing surface, and the heat resistant fabric allows me to put the iron away before it is cool.
On Sunday I whipped up a thread catcher using some Disney fabric from the Walmart near Walt Disney World. I’m on a roll!
Bought
Right now I’m just enjoying the peace and quiet of an almost empty campground and low humidity with a lovely breeze. We even heard a loon the other night. How cool is that!

1 comment:

  1. I want an iron caddy - have used the bed and some leftover flannel for a press cloth, but this will be better!

    ReplyDelete