Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Vega, TX

We left OKC on Monday morning with the wind blowing the storms away and soon were treated to blue skies. We’ve been through Oklahoma twice before, both times in the Spring, and had to dodge tornadoes each time. This time we got to appreciate Oklahoma’s beauty.


Before long we had passed into a Texas and the landscape changed from farmland to wilder cattle country.
We arrived in Vega mid afternoon and settled in. It is still cold, and the campground owner told be that winters here are “awful.” He was an interesting man with lots of stories about his cats and about the woman who lost her arm trying to keep her female dog from being assaulted by a pack of male dogs. Suddenly he interrupted himself. “Do you like peppers?” he asked me. I said I did and he pointed to some jalapeños on the counter and told me to take some. I replied I could use one or two and he said, “How about five? I picked them this morning, the last of the season, right before that sleet hit.”

I guess I’ll be making salsa!

No comments:

Post a Comment