Monday, April 5, 2021

From Tucson to Mexico

 I had almost forgotten how much fun traveling can be. On Saturday, Linda and I set out to find some fun places to visit. I was saddened to learn that SAS Fabrics had closed, and that Grandma’s Spinning Wheel was only allowing people in by appointment, one person at a time. I feel guilty just browsing when I’m only one of three people per hour shopping, plus Linda and I wanted to go in together, so we crossed that place off my list. Instead, we went to The West, a volunteer-run store specializing in needlework supplies and gifts. I have rekindled my interest in tatting lately so I wanted to see what they had. As it turned out, they didn’t have tatting supplies except for a couple of shuttles but they did have some nice scissors I needed. Next we drove over to the Quilt Basket, a great shop with beautiful fabrics and lots of samples to tempt a sewer. No tatting supplies, though. We realized that we were in the same plaza as Grandma’s Spinning Wheel so we decided to knock on the door without an appointment. We explained to the saleswoman that we were both fully vaccinated so she let us in together. Nice! We both found some small items we had to have.

After that, it was on to Pita Jungle where we sat outside and enjoyed a lovely lunch. This was the first time either of us had eaten at a restaurant in over a year and we enjoyed it thoroughly, sitting outside on the deck with a pleasant breeze. The food was great!

Later we returned to the park and had fun hanging out together with the menfolk, checking out their new motor coach and seeing the trains run, just for us.


This park has a very active railroad club of which Chuck and Linda are members, but usually when we visit the trains have been put away for the season, so this was a real treat.

On Sunday it was time to say goodbye, and Bob and I headed off down the road to Deming, NM. We’ll be here for the next couple of weeks.

And on Monday we drove 45 minutes south to Puerto Palomas, Chihuahua, Mexico to get our teeth cleaned. I also needed a root canal which I’ve been putting off for a while. It’s been two years since we’ve been to Mexico and the town was pretty quiet. We were told that the vaccine rollout has been slow and this affects tourism here.



After our appointments, Bob and I ate lunch at the Pink Store and shopped a little before driving home to Auggie. We’ll go back next week for my permanent crown. In the meantime, Bob is going over the motor home with a fine toothed comb and I’m finding things to do as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment