Thursday, April 15, 2021

New Mexico Fun

Bob and I have been having a lot of fun in NM. On Monday we drove back to Palomas, MX to get my permanent crown from the dentist. It went smoothly and we had a nice lunch afterwards (I recommend the veggie tacos without cheese and a margarita,) and enjoyed some shopping. 

On Tuesday I felt like checking out some local shops so I popped into the Yarn Emporium in Deming. There I met a most delightful woman, Judy, who owns the shop.


Judy and I shared so many interests and we had a blast talking fiber arts. And the shop was a real inspiration—a must-see if you find yourself anywhere near the area. Judy specializes in yarns for weaving and knitting and she is a Louet dealer, too.

I also visited Sew-N-Sew quilt shop in town, which had a very nice selection of quilting fabrics. The store was full of women who had driven in from Las Cruces for shopping and lunch. It was fun listening to their conversations as I shopped.

On Wednesday Bob and I visited the Deming Luna Mimbres Museum, considered by many to be the best museum in New Mexico. It features so many aspects of the area’s history, including the Mimbres, a prehistoric tribe which was part of the Mogollon (pronounced Muggy-on) people who settled in the area. The museum has a fine collection of Mimbres pottery. You may note that many of the Mimbres bowls have holes in the bottom. These were former cooking bowls that were later placed over the face after the individual died, the hole being punched out to allow the soul to escape. The museum also features paintings, quilts, woven blankets, toy trains, dolls, vehicles, gems, and household items from historical times.







On Wednesday afternoon Bob and I checked out a local winery, Lescombes Winery & Tasting Room where we sampled some of their red wines and bought a few bottles to take home. A delightful day, one we will not soon forget. So much to see here.



No comments:

Post a Comment