Friday, March 25, 2022

A Scary Week

We had a lovely time in Tucson with our friends Linda and Chuck. I got to visit some favorite shops (Grandma’s Spinning Wheel, the Quilt Basket and the West) and we had loads of fun catching up. From Tucson we traveled on to Deming for two nights, where we ran some errands and just relaxed a bit. On Saturday we stopped in Van Horn, which is where things turned.

On Sunday morning Bob and I were getting ready to move on when he went outside to hook up the water hose so I could finish my shower. I heard a yell from outside so I ran to the window. Bob was on his hands and knees in front of a puddle of blood. “Call 911,” he said to me. He told me later he had felt light headed and had passed out, hitting his face on the hard ground. Blood ran down his face from his forehead and nose. As we waited outside for the ambulance, a couple was driving past and stopped to offer help. They waited with us while the EMTs took vitals and prepared to take Bob to the local health clinic in town. The couple who had stopped offered to drive me to the hospital, as our car was still hitched to the motorhome. 

We were halfway there when the woman said to me, “I’m going to leave you my car. My husband is in his truck right behind me to drive me home. Just bring it back when you come back to the campground. We are just a few sites down from you.” I looked at her in amazement and replied, “I don’t even know your name, and you’re leaving me your car??” We exchanged names and numbers then and this lovely couple left me at the ER.

After several hours at the ER it was determined that Bob had a blood clot in his lung and that he needed to go by ambulance to a bigger hospital about a hundred miles away. I drove back to the RV, dropped off the car, asked these angels (for they truly were that) to help me unhitch my car, and grabbed Bob’s phone and iPad so he would have them at the hospital. We both agreed I should stay with Auggie in the RV. I had folks I could ask for help if needed; surely Bob wouldn’t be in the hospital for long.

As it turned out, Bob also tested positive for Covid, although he had no symptoms. His blood pressure was a little high, and his sugars were high as well. So he was getting lots of treatment. The day after he was admitted to the hospital he blew his nose and a pebble flew out. That’s how hard he hit the ground!

God sent other angels as well. Another couple pulled in right next to our campsite on Wednesday, driving a motorhome of the same make as ours. The fellow offered to hook up the hose so I could dump the gray water, since my tank was getting pretty full despite my efforts to conserve water. He didn’t feel the connection was secure enough so he gave me a brand new hose he was carrying as a spare. He and his wife were so kind!

We had so many people, all around the country, praying for us. Family, friends, and total strangers. We were so lifted up by these prayers and the support we received. Bob and I felt surrounded by the love that was poured out for us. 

On Thursday we waited for the go-ahead for me to pick Bob up and finally we got the word that he was being discharged, and  Auggie and I drove into El Paso to get him. It was a long day. From Sunday to Thursday with no shower and still with blood on his clothes, he was a bit scruffy and smelly, but I was so happy to see him.

This morning, needing to fill his prescriptions, we drove 120 miles to Ft Stockton, TX. It was that or else return to El Paso, since Van Horn has no pharmacy. Can you imagine living in a town where you have to drive over 100 miles to fill a prescription? So we are on our way again. Bob has no restrictions on traveling and I feel better now knowing he has his meds. He has also pledged to eat a more healthy diet, so again, another thing to feel thankful for. I tested negative for Covid and have had no symptoms.

This hasn’t been a fun story to post, but I am thanking God for all the ways He showed His love for us this past week. It could have had a very sad ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment