Friday, August 12, 2022

Eight Blogiversary and Covid

Last week I had a fun day with daughter Catherine and grandkids Alex, Rob, and Jillian, painting the walls of Catherine’s newly renovated front porch. Back in December of 2020, the driver of a pickup truck lost control of his vehicle, bounced off a telephone pole on the driver’s side, then slid sideways into Catherine’s front porch. The porch was knocked askew and had to be rebuilt. It was finally finished this summer and now was ready to be painted. Everyone had an important role to play. Rob, Alex, and I did the painting while Catherine, who had twisted her ankle the previous week, was seated in the center of the room to alert us to any drips. Jillian was the designated time keeper. It really was fun! It looks so pretty in blue.

By the end of the day, however, Catherine was dragging, and she told me she was feeling a little under the weather. And the next day she tested positive for Covid.

I’m so grateful that new treatments have become available. She was able to call her local urgent care, had a telehealth professional call her right back, and was prescribed Paxlovid which she started right away. Such an easy process—no schlepping to an ER and waiting for hours to be seen.

The next day I tested positive and got right on Paxlovid as well. It’s an amazing medication, and after 12 hours I felt so much better. Apart from a seriously icky taste in my mouth, I had no problems with it. And that was worth it to have the fever, body aches, and headache under control. The only symptom left after 4 out of the 5 days of antiviral treatment is a lingering fatigue that is a little better each day. I’ll continue to isolate from the rest of the world while we travel, until I can be around people again.

Bob is fine, by the way. He must have a pretty strong immune system because he didn’t get sick at all.

Today Bob and I left NJ for our trip west. This summer just flew by. I know I say that every year but this summer was gone in a blink. So strange. And today marks eight years since I started this blog and we were preparing to drive away from our house. So much has changed. It’s been a good eight years.

No comments:

Post a Comment