Friday, July 29, 2016

Politics

When I was a young child, my parents rarely discussed politics with us. Like many other areas of life they encouraged us to think for ourselves and to make up our own minds. To this day I am not absolutely positive which way they leaned, politically. But they did impress upon us two things:
1. It is our duty as citizens of this great country to exercise our right to vote, and 2.Voting is by secret ballot for a reason. Both of these hard-won privileges are not necessarily a possibility in other countries. How fortunate we are!

So you will not read here for whom I will be voting.

My children have absorbed these sentiments as well, and on Election Day they will call up their siblings to make sure everyone has voted and to offer transportation if needed. I am so proud of that!

In an era when it seems so many "share" their political views on Facebook to all of their friends, I confess that my typical response is to click "hide this post." I really don't care what anyone else thinks; I listen to the candidates themselves to form my opinions, and to those who have firsthand knowledge of them.

I do have strong feelings on the matter, however. I have spent the last two weeks following the televised coverage of both the Republican and Democratic National Conventions. I listened to all the major speeches and most of the minor ones. Our political system is so fascinating!

As an aside, I am really looking forward to going back to my earlier bedtime. ;)

Even though the Conventions have ended, and even though you probably have already made up your mind, I would urge you to take an evening or two and watch the online videos of the speeches for both parties. They are a real eye opener.

Many people ask us how Bob and I manage to vote when we are in another state on Election Day. We arrange well in advance to cast out Absentee Ballot so that our voice may be heard. It doesn't provide the same satisfaction as entering the voting booth, but I'm ok with that.

So on November 8, get out and vote for your candidate. And until then, keep your mind open and listen to both sides. Neither candidate is perfect, but you must help to make the best choice for our great nation. It is an honor and a privilege to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment