Thursday, August 17, 2017

Badlands National Park

I have literally been dreaming about this place for more than three years, before I even knew that it existed. In fact, it wasn't until I stumbled across photos that I realized that I had dreamed of an actual place on Earth.

This Big Horn Sheep was there to greet us a couple of miles into the park, and he was completely unperturbed that cars were stopping to take his photograph. What a thrill to see one up close!

But the stunning scenery soon had us back on the road. We were driving along the Loop Road, which offered many places to pull off and see the sights.

In this photo you can see the splashes of yellow color from the Yellow Mounds Overlook.

I think I'm going to have to break down and get myself a selfie stick, since my arms are too short and all our selfies look the same. Sigh.

Bob and I were struck by the colors in the rock. They reminded us a little of the Painted Desert of Arizona, but the colors were a little softer. Very beautiful, nonetheless.

It was fascinating to see the light change as we drove along the loop.

We took our time, ate our lunch, and finally left for home, stopping at the famous Wall Drug on the way home. If you've ever driven along Rte. 90 you've seen the many signs advertizing this place. Meh. It was a bunch of themed gift shops and places to eat. It wasn't worth the stop and we continued on home with some fabulous memories of the Badlands.

Tomorrow--Custer State Park!

1 comment:

  1. beautiful! good to know about the other stop, to bad.

    ReplyDelete