Sunday, August 20, 2017

Journey Museum Learning Center & Custer SP at Dusk

Today was a busy day. I wove a bit more on my band in the morning, and later Bob and I went to the Journey Museum to learn more about the area. This museum features exhibits on local geology, dinosaurs, and Native Americans. I found the Indian exhibit very interesting.

This brave is wearing a fine exmple of a finger woven sash.

There were many examples of beautiful beadwork. Glass beads were introduced to the Great Plains during the 1700s by European traders. These beads were crafted in Italian and Czech glass workshops, and were used by Indian women alongside porcupine quills and animal teeth to decorate clothing.

This shield, Ca. 1870, is made of rawhide covered with painted muslin. It was made and used by Fool Bull, a Sioux warrior who carried it in the battle against Custer.

This evening, Bob and I returned to Custer State Park to see if dusk was a better time to glimpse animals. The waning day cast a golden light across the landscape.

We saw several pronghorn...

...a flock of wild turkeys...

...and more buffalo. We caught a glimpse of the burro herd in the distance, and saw quite a few deer (white tailed and mule deer,) but no elk. But we were alright with that because it was just so pretty with the sun setting.


I told Bob that this park is my happy place. Well, in the summer, anyway. I'm not so sure what winter would be like here. Pretty harsh, I'm thinking.

Tomorrow is our last full day in this area, and we intend to spend it avoiding all the eclipse hoopla. On Tuesday we head farther north to a campground outside Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota.

No comments:

Post a Comment