Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thanksgiving Day

On Wednesday, I got ready for Thanksgiving by doing what all of you certainly do--by putting away my loom. All of you who are weavers living in a very small space, anyway! It's amazing how u roomier our motorhome is when there is no loom or weaving bench set up!

My contribution to the Thanksgiving Day feast was candied yams and rolls for 20 people. I kneaded up the dough and set it to rise, then peeled and sliced my yams and added sugar and spices. Half went into the RV convection oven and the other half went into my new Breville oven. It sits happily on the counter in the living room.
Which got me thinking about how much of our cabinet space is devoted to kitchen items and how much to, well, non-kitchen items. By my reckoning, about 85% of the storage in the kitchen/lounge area is actually used for kitchen storage. And with the extra cabinet counters we installed last year, my kitchen is almost as big as the one in my old house. Pretty amazing, really.

I half-baked 30 rolls, to be finished the next day, and topped off my cooking by whipping up a batch of cinnamon rolls for Thanksgiving morning. Those have always been our traditional breakfasts for a Thanksgiving and Christmas, and they make me feel like all is right with the world.

On Thanksgiving Day we enjoyed the cinammon rolls, then relaxed until it was time to warm up the yams and pop the rolls into the ovens again to finish baking. We headed off to the clubhouse for dinner.
People were starting to gather when we arrived, and oh my--what a feast we had! Roast turkey and ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes and potato casserole, gravy, green bean casserole, jello salad, green salad, crudités, broccoli salad, yams, rolls, and pumpkin pie, apple pie, and pecan pie, with whipped cream. We ate until we couldn't eat any more! And we get to do it again tomorrow because on Friday we gather for a leftovers meal.




No comments:

Post a Comment