Monday, September 25, 2017

Raptors and Wolves and Bears, Oh My!

Yesterday Bob and I went to the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center in West Yellowstone.

This place takes in grizzly bears, wolves, and raptors (birds who hunt with their talons) that can no longer survive in the wild. We saw a very nice raptor program featuring two birds: a Rough Legged Hawk (above)...

...and a Northern Saw Whet Owl. While they eat mice in the winter, these tiny owls' main diet in the summer is moths.

Outside we came face to face with a huge grizzly bear.

The sanctuary focuses on community education and had exhibits that were very nicely done. Bob and I were amazed at how big the polar bear was.

And aren't baby grizzlies adorable? Here's what I wanted to know--what to do if I meet a bear in the wild.

We learned a lot here. Now we are ready to go into Yellowstone.

No comments:

Post a Comment