Sunday, September 24, 2017

We Leave Livingston, MT

We've been here a long time, expecting to stay for 7 days and ending up lingering for an extra 4 days because of weather. We still saw snow, waking up on Friday to this scene in the campground.

But it had melted by mid day, and we were glad we had waited out the weather. We saw plenty of evidence of snow in the higher elevations on Saturday morning while traveling to West Yellowstone, MT.

The road south ran along Swan Creek, which was very winding. Pretty, but not a relaxing drive for Bob who had to focus on all those turns. At least we saw no ice, rain, or snow on the roads.

We settled in to our new campsite, and it's a very nice park. There appears to be lots to do around here (besides Yellowstone, which is right around the corner.) There's a grizzly bear/wolf sanctuary, an IMAX theater, lots of touristy shops, and a quilt/yarn shop in town. We are also not that far to Grand Teton National Park so I hope we'll get there as well. And there's no rain or snow forecast for the next week!

While waiting to get to the Yellowstone area I've been working on a knitted cowl in linen stitch...an odd number of stitches on a circular needle (in this case, 107)... knit 1, slip 1 purlwise with yarn in front. Place a stitch marker after the first round and move it every time you come to it. Repeat k1, S1 throughout the entire piece. 2 rows color 1, 2 rows color 2, starting and ending with color 1.

I figured out another use for the seat from my Harrisville Design weaving bench--that of a knitting desk. I clamped 2 small (Walmart) bar clamps to it so I could impale the balls of yarn on them, keeping them from rolling off. Under 1 of the clamps I slipped the pattern, and put a pair of scissors under 1 ball. My small IKEA lamp sits on my "desk" for extra light. I even have a rare earth magnet that sticks to the lamp and holds a needle for yarn ends. When I stand up, I turn around and set the desk on the chair like so.

It works very well and keeps everything organized. The 1/2" board is 9" wide and 28" long if you want to make one for yourself. Handle cutouts are not necessary.

Today we are off to start exploring the area.

2 comments:

  1. What a clever knitting setup! I instantly recognized the IKEA lamp--it is so handy to move around and clip wherever it is needed. My husband has his own, but frequently "borrows" mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! I love that little lamp--it's always next to me.

      Delete