Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Almost a Big Mistake

I was on a roll with my sewing and it was a rainy day so on Tuesday I whipped up another purse using the Lazy Girl Runaround Bag pattern. This time I used leftover fabric from the purse I made this past spring, along with some blue I had bought in Lancaster, PA.
Front
Back
I really like the way this came out and I know I’ll get a lot of use out of it. The actual sewing only took about 45 minutes; most of the time is in the cutting out and fusing thin batting to pattern pieces.

We left the Elk’s lodge on Wednesday morning and headed west, using a combination of our trucker GPS and directions from the website of our destination in Columbus, OH. We have found that it’s best to follow those written directions. Until today, that is. When the written directions took us to a bridge that was lower than we could go.
Note that the sign says 12’ 9”. The sign lied. We are 12’ 8”, and I know that number is correct because we were measured when we had our weight checked at the Escapees Boot Camp.

Bob crept forward but stopped when we heard the antenna hit the underside of the bridge. He immediately backed up, then got out and unhooked the car, which was difficult because we were on a slight hill. Some bad words may have been uttered during this process. Meanwhile, traffic was backing up and going around us as the two lane road was suddenly a one lane road.

Bob backed the car into a handy parking lot right behind us, then backed the motorhome in and turned around. This time we followed the GPS and arrived at the campground without further problems. And here we shall be for the next few days. There appears to be a lot to see in this area so I’m looking forward to it.

I read once that you should do one thing every day that scares you, and today we faced one of our biggest fears. Coming upon a too-low bridge has always worried us and now we know we can handle it. But hopefully it will never happen again!

No comments:

Post a Comment