Friday, September 6, 2019

From Ohio to Iowa

We left Ohio for Indiana State Fairgrounds on Monday morning and had an easy drive to Indianapolis where we camped in a nice spot with full hookups. Just beyond the fence next to our site was a bike trail where bikers whizzed by regularly. Near the campground were the stables, but since there was no event going on there were no horses in residence.

The next morning we drove on to E. Peoria, IL and camped next to a marina on the Illinois River. They must get some flooding regularly because the poles for tying up the boats were 30 feet long.
While we were there I finished knitting my little pumpkin man, aka “Patch.” This is a pattern available on Ravelry.
We stayed for just one night before moving on to Dubuque, IA where we met up with our niece, her husband, and their three adorable boys. We had a great visit with them, catching up now in their lives and enjoying a picnic dinner complete with s’mores, of course!
Bob and I had brought with us a child’s chair that my grandmother gave me many years ago. I learned the history of it from my Aunt Mary and Uncle Willis when I recognized a very similar chair in their house in Goshen, CT. Aunt Mary told me that the two chairs were known in the family as the “twin chairs” because they were hand crafted by Benjamin Lamphier for his twin daughters, Ida and Ada, who were my mother’s grandmother and great aunt, born in 1867. I gave my chair to my daughter, Emily, and she enjoyed it for years before her recent move to Idaho. Not having room for the chair any longer, I brought it to my niece and she was as thrilled to have it as I was to gift it to her.
As we ran errands yesterday we came across something that truly surprised me. I was looking for a postage stamp to mail a birthday card to my grandson so we drove to the nearest US Post Office. There I saw a sign in the window stating that they did not sell postage stamps. What?? Inside I was told that I should go to a nearby grocery store to buy stamps. And so we did. Truly a first for us.

We leave this morning (Friday) to Decorah, IA to visit the Vesterheim Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment