Saturday, March 19, 2016

International Wildlife Museum

One of the fun things about being in a new area is seeing new sights. This can be very expensive to do, day after day. I have written before about our memberships in museums that give us reciprocity with other museums. On Saturday, Bob and I used our ASCT card from the Dale Carnegie Museum to enter the International Wildlife Museum in Tucson.
This place could aptly be called a museum of dead things, filled with dead, stuffed animals and bugs mounted in frames and cases. But it truly is a fascinating place. The first room one enters is filled with butterfly specimens, and I was taken in by the colors.


Another room was filled, ceiling to floor, with products of a taxidermist's art: deer from every continent, bears, tigers, giraffes, musk ox, zebras. It was rather overwhelming.


 There were dioramas showing the animals' natural habitats.


One of my favorites was a stuffed Passenger Pigeon, one of only a few found in a museum. I had never seen one before.
There was even a room featuring disgusting animal habits, and the poster below was the least disgusting one they had. I'll bet the children who visit love this exhibit!
There were only a few live creatures in the museum; one of them was this scorpion.
Every display featured interesting facts about the animal. What a great place to bring children, but we both enjoyed it, too.

I'm currently on the third book in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Sorry, but until I finish the series I will probably not be doing much weaving!

No comments:

Post a Comment