Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Rob's Hat and Photos of our Campground

It only took me six months to knit this hat.
Back in July, my grandson, Rob, asked me to knit him a replacement hat for one I had knitted him years ago. It took me a day to work out the pattern (don't laugh, you experienced knitters!) I wasted a lot of time learning how to knit Portuguese-style, just because I wanted to. Then I lost one of my needles. In the end, I reverted to Continental-style knitting and finished it in a few hours. Here are my directions:

Use a worsted-weight yarn in two colors. I used part of a ball each in two colors of Vanna's Choice yarn, 6 stitch markers, and a US size 9, (5.5 mm) straight needle. Gauge is 16 sts and 28 rows = 4".

Cast on 40 stitches in color A.
Setup row: In color A, k10, p5, k5, p5, k5, p5, k5. PM between each stitch change.
Row 1: Switch to color B, k5, p5, k5, p5, k5, p5, k10.
Row 2: k10, p5, k5, p5, k5, p5, k5. 
Rows 3 & 4: Repeat rows 1 & 2 in color A
Continue rows 1-4 for a total of 34 times, carrying each color rather than cutting and joining.

Stitch up back seam by hand, then gather top edge. Weave in ends. Fold up brim. You can use either side of the knitted fabric for the front, depending on whether you want to see more of the knit side or purl side. Mine here is showing more purl.

This hat will fit a child to an adult. It's quite stretchy.  If you want to see a three color version of this hat, click here.

Yesterday I went to a yoga meet and greet. I'd like to join the Tuesday morning class--we'll see how I like it. In the mean time, I'm taking every opportunity to ride my bike. There's just something about biking that makes me feel 10 years old again!

I took a few photos to show some of the sights in the park.
  
The pond near the office 
View of the nearby mountains, across the Colorado River
One of the golf courses here
Tennis courts
The heated swimming pool

Last night we went to the Cantina for Burger Night, and met some nice folks from Minnesota and Idaho. I think today we will mail off Rob's hat and do some exploring of the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment