Friday, February 12, 2016

Mesilla Valley Weavers Guild

On Thursday my friend, Joan, invited me to visit the weavers' study group of the Mesilla Valley Weavers Guild in Las Cruces. What a great group of women, and very talented weavers, too! The group was so welcoming to me and I felt right at home. Here are just some of the "show and tell" projects presented.




After the meeting, a half dozen of us went out to lunch at "A Bite of Belgium," a casual restaurant that served us some excellent lunches. I enjoyed my grilled lamb sandwich. Yum!

One of the guild members owns a yarn shop in Kansas and asked if we wanted to stop in, so Joan and I shopped at Sharon's garage to pick up some 8/2 cotton. Joan has promised to weave some towels for a challenge run by the Bucks County (PA) guild that she belongs to. She picked out some pretty colors and we headed back to her house to get some warp on a Schacht rigid heddle loom she has. It was a fun day!

Today, after a tiny bit more sanding, the tape loom was declared to be finished. I put the first coat of Tung oil on it and just stood back to admire the beautiful wood. I plan to reapply three more coats of Tung oil before warping it up. Here's what it looks like now:

The weather has turned quite spring-like, with high temperatures in the mid-70s and lows in the high 40s. I also love the fact that there is not a cloud in the sky. I could get used to this!




No comments:

Post a Comment