Saturday, May 20, 2017

AKC Museum of the Dog

St Louis has a number of interesting museums to visit but, when we heard there was a dog museum, Bob and I knew we wanted to see it.

This place is located in southwest St Louis and we were glad we got to visit on this pass through the area because sometime next year it will be moving to New York. And dogs are welvome visitors--how cool is that! Auggie gave it "two paws up" for a great place to find good smells, although he really does not appreciate fine art. And after spending so much time trying to expose him to the finer things in life!

These are some of my favorite pieces of art.

Starting with Golden Retrievers, this is Golden Heritage by Jerry Gadamus.

Harlequin Great Dane, ca 1960, by Hispania Porcelain Company.

I loved this hooked ottoman cushion, but could not find the namr of the artist.

Sculpted by Joy Kroeger Beckner in bronze, this dachshund is called A Good Life, ca 1996.

Palladian Style Doghouse, ca 1995, by Juan Pablo Molyneux.

Poster for the Disney movie, Old Yeller.

I loved this one: by Alfredo Gracia Aguilar, The Bravos, ca 1994.

After the museum, we stopped in to Straub's, a high-end grocery store similar to Trader Joes, where they were giving out food samples. I was offered a generous taste of cream liqueur, pound cake with fresh berries, and a fresh grilled burger on a bun (which I brought back to Bob.) And I found my Mellita unbleached #2 coffee filters that I had been looking for. Score!

I had settled in to watch an episode of Scandal when Bob stuck his head in the rig and asked if I wanted to see a snake. But of course! Right outside the back of the coach was a Northern Water Snake (non-poisonous) that was trying to swallow a fish. I was able to get a few photos before she moved away.

It's amazing how snakes are able to swallow creatures that large.

We have had quite a bit of rain over the last couple of days but tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and lovely. We'll be here until Monday before heading to Illinois.

No comments:

Post a Comment