Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Smartphone Photography Workshop and South Florida Museum

It has been a busy couple of days. On Tuesday I attended the Geeks on Tour Smartphone Photography Workshop for four hours. Now, I take all my photos with my iPhone, and feel comfortable using it, but I learned quite a bit about different ways to use it. The Geeks have been encouraging us to use Google Photos, and if you aren't using it you really ought to give it a try. I love the face recognition in this app and the way it can search for images by typing in a keyword.

John and Kathy Huggins shared their table with me and I got some good shots of them as part of my class work. Here Kathy is being helped by Chris Guld, one of our instructors.
I was happy with the way I caught John's expression.
After the class my ear was really bothering me so I decided to lay low and skip the afternoon social at the clubhouse. 

This morning (Wednesday) Bob and I drove over to the South Florida Museum and Manatee Aquarium. Another $28 saved through our Norman Rockwell Museum reciprocal NARM membership. Don't I just love a bargain. :)

This place had a lot of different things to see.  I loved this statue and fountain. The courtyard is typical old-style Spanish architecture.

The museum boasts an aquarium with four manatees, including the oldest known manatee in captivity. Just look at that face.
Other exhibits included clothing worn by Seminole Indians...

...wildlife dioramas....
 ...and a photography exhibit of images of Cuba, by Clyde Butcher. I was moved by his hauntingly beautiful photographs.
After the museum Bob and I walked along the Riverwalk, on the bank of the Braden River. It was really lovely. We enjoyed dreaming about owning a million dollar boat. Not that I would trade our RV for a boat, you understand.
Tomorrow is our last full day here in Bradenton.  We have really enjoyed our stay, but it is time to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment