Thursday, March 26, 2015

A Collar for Lily

My sister, Gail, has a Schnoodle named “Lily” for whom I enjoy weaving collars.  I noticed when we were in Texas that Lily’s collar was looking a little worse for wear, so I have been meaning to weave her a new one.

I have been weaving a bit with my Gilmore Inkle Lap Loom lately, having a lot of fun with it, and it was time to design Lily something new and pretty. Lily likes pink, I have  been told, so it had to feature that color. I wanted to accent the pink with black to play off the black in Lily's coat, with a little green for spring.

I came across this, an inkle loom pattern generator, and started playing around with colors and patterns. This is what I came up with:
When designing, enter the number of threads you want your band to be. Then you click on a palette of colors, and click on blocks to fill those colors into your band. The Generator creates a draft for warping. Planning a warp is now easy. I'll be using this again.

And this is how it looks, ready to take off the loom after a few hours of warping and weaving:
It takes just a few minutes to sew the hardware on--I buy inexpensive collars and cut them apart to re-use the hardware. This is much less expensive than purchasing specialty collar hardware by itself. I also recycle the hardware from an old collar at times. I will sew it all together in the next couple of weeks and get it off to Lily to show off to her canine friends.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely! Which loom do you have? Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ellen! My loom is a Gilmore Inkle Lap Loom, a discontinued model that was a precursor to the Wave. It holds a long (8 yards) warp of up to 3 1/4" wide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Note the pony tail holder on the right side of the loom. That is where I park my shuttle when I am not using it!

    ReplyDelete