Monday, March 23, 2015

Jury Duty

How does one handle a summons for jury duty when on the road? I can tell you how it works if your mailing address is in Livingston, Texas!

It typically takes about a week for our mail to arrive to us after calling for it. We are members of the RV club called The Escapees, and use their mail forwarding service in Livingston, TX. Therefore our address is Livingston, and whenever we are in a place for at least a week we call the Escapees and ask them to send our mail to wherever we are. We are charged an annual fee plus postage for a package full of mail, typically under $5 each time.

So a little over a week ago I called and gave them the address of the park where we are staying.  Our mail arrived Saturday afternoon, and I was surprised to find an Official Jury Summons in the packet. According to the summons I was ordered to appear at 8:30 am on March 23 for jury duty.  Yikes! A quick phone call to Livingston was to no avail, as offices were already closed.

My mind was on this all yesterday. So this morning I got up early and phoned the Jury Coordinator's office at 7:15 am Livingston time. I reached a very nice person and explained that I was almost 1400 miles away and had just received the summons Saturday afternoon.  She took my summons number and asked, "Are you a member of the Escapees?" I said yes, and she said, "OK, you are excused..  All we ask is that when and if you find yourself in Polk County that you volunteer for jury duty."

Wow! It was never that easy in NJ to get out of it, and I have been called (and gone) several times.  I guess that being in the same town as the Escapees headquarters gives town officials a unique understanding of the lifestyle of full-time RVers.

We had a quiet weekend. I finished weaving my new round inkle band and wore it to the ice cream social last night.
I love the way the pattern swirls around the cord.

At the social I was asked to sell the 50/50 tickets, since I had won the pot last week.  I was happy to do it, and the winner went home with $27.50.  Selling the tickets was easy--I just promised everyone the winning one!

No comments:

Post a Comment