Wednesday, March 4, 2015

A New Band

I have been just itching to weave something, so today I pulled out my Gilmore Inkle Lap Loom. This fun little loom weaves bands up to 3 1/2" wide.

I learned to weave bands on my grandmother's inkle loom that I inherited after Gram passed.  My grandfather had built it for Gram out of wood from their land (they owned a dairy farm and a lumber mill) and it has always had a special place in my studio.  I remember all the bags and belts Gram made with it--I must have gotten my weaving skills from her! When we got ready to go on the road I realized that the loom was a little too big to store in the motorhome, so I passed it to my daughter in law, Bernie. This summer I will show her how to use it.

The Inkle Lap Loom is no longer being made by Gilmore, and has been replaced by their Wave Looms.  I know that the Wave is a very popular model but I wouldn't trade my Lap Loom for anything.  I actually got the last one made, because I called up Mr. Gilmore and he sent out the only one he had left after it was discontinued.

Here is what the loom looks like, with dimensions:
And here is my band I am weaving.  It will become a new collar and leash for Auggie.
I have woven this band before--it is one of my favorites.  I adapted it from an article in Handwoven Magazine (March/April 2002, page 74) by eliminating some of the repeats and using Maysville Carpet Warp instead of 5/2 perle cotton.  It makes a perfect size for a small dog collar, about 3/4" wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment