Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Downtown Yuma and Beading

Bob and I took a ride into historic downtown Yuma today to see what we could see.  I was hoping to find a used bookstore. Unfortunately the main one in town had "closed for renovations" months ago and had never re-opened. So we strolled along and visited some antique stores.
I have to say, we found an antique store that beats out every antique store I have ever been to.  And I have been to a lot of them. There were things in that shop that I have never seen anywhere. Amazing stuff. Too bad we have no room for any of it.

We returned home to the rig for lunch before I headed off for my beading class. I brought the loom-knitted hat I finished, to donate to the hats for cancer drive.
The hat was knitted in  doubled Cottontots yarn and will fit an older baby.

The class featured a pretty design of beads sewn in the Peyote Stitch.  It was tricky to start but I did get the hang of it.  I only finished about 1/2" of it so I didn't take a picture, but maybe I will if I keep working on it!

Bob and I decided to put our names on the waiting list for a lot here. It will take 3-5 years for our name to reach the top, and if we change our minds we can get our deposit back.  I could see us coming back here every winter, when we are tired of traveling (if that ever happens!)

The lots here are surrounded by low brick walls that range from about 12" high to close to 3'. And the people whose lots back up to the dog park have put portable steps on either side of the wall so that they can climb over the wall rather than walk around to the gate.  Well, Auggie discovered these steps into peoples' yards today, and kept hopping over them out of the park.  Bob and I each had to climb over into other peoples' back yards to get him back, each time we passed the steps. I guess he will have to be on leash in the park, which rather defeats the purpose I think! This particular dog park is not Auggie's favorite.  For some reason he is always the only dog there, which he doesn't like.  And it is so big I think it makes him nervous. Plus he sometimes picks up little prickers in his feet. Maybe we will walk elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment