Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Mr. Snake Comes a-Calling

We signed the contracts for our house sale yesterday, so we are under contract.  Fingers crossed that all goes smoothly through closing September 30.

Bob is always looking for things to fix.  It admittedly has gotten much harder to find such projects, as the house now is pretty darned perfect!  But yesterday he was messing around with a screen door, making it open more smoothly, when whom should he spy but Mr. Garter Snake.
He was a little guy, not causing anybody any trouble except for one thing...he was inside our screened in porch.  While I would have no problem sharing my screen room with Mr. G.S., Bob balks at such company (and I'm guessing that many other people would as well.) So we gathered up a small plastic bin and lid to relocate him.

In my youth, I would catch snakes and not worry about a garter snake's bite.  Honestly, their teeth are so tiny that even with their fangs embedded in my thumb I couldn't feel it. But they also give off a musky odor that gets all over my hands and takes hours to get rid of, so I thought I'd try the box this time.  And it worked well.  After chasing him for 30 seconds or so he leaped into the box, I was able to pop on the lid, and safely move him to the back of the yard by the shed, where he could hunt in privacy and safety.  Got a good picture of him, too!

A few years back I grabbed the tail of a four foot black snake and flung him out of the garage; I was glad I didn't have to do that, this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment