Monday, September 1, 2014

Labor Day Weekend

On Saturday I went out with my good friend Robbie, meeting at Zoe's Kitchen in Voorhees for lunch.  I had a very nice quinoa salad.  I've known Robbie since my days at Bancroft Early Intervention and we have been close ever since.

After lunch I went to DS and DIL's house to see the changes and improvements.  Kicking myself for not taking pictures! I guess I have to start thinking like a blogger and photograph EVERYTHING! They have the cutest little bungalow style home, and have loads of ideas for making it their own.

We had a great time at DD and SIL's house yesterday, complete with cookout and chocolate chip cookie bake off.  The grandkids helped judge, and competition was fierce! I was pleased with the votes that my gluten free cookies earned--it was a very close race with Emily and Kristen tying for first, and I was third with one less vote.  The grandkids took it very seriously; Adam had a bit of a meltdown because they were all so good and he just couldn't make up his mind!  I, of course, take credit for the win because I taught them how to cook! ;)  

My eldest daughter has asked me to share some breakfast recipes that are nutritious and yummy.  Here are a couple of my favorites:

Muesli

I could eat this every day, it is that good.  It must be made the night before, but only takes a minute.  For each serving:
1/3 cup quick oats
2/3 cup milk (I use soy milk but any will do)
2 tablespoons raisins
2 tablespoons raw sunflower seeds
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Stir it all up in your cereal bowl and stick it in the fridge.  Next morning give it a quick stir and eat it cold.  The oats and raisins will have soaked up the milk and it will taste sweet and yummy.

6 Week Muffins
This recipe may not be as good for you, but it is better than any commercial muffins.
Place in bowl:  2 cups Bran Buds cereal
Pour over:  2 cups boiling water
Set aside to cool.
Cream together in large mixing bowl:  
1 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
Add and beat in:  1 qt buttermilk and soaked cereal mixture
Sift together:
5 cups white whole wheat flour
5 tsps baking soda
1 tsp salt
Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture and fold until flour is moistened.
Fold in 4 cups additional dry Bran buds.
Store batter in covered container in the fridge. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400 degrees and fill well greased muffin tins 2/3 full.  Bake 20 minutes. You may add a couple tablespoons of raisins, nuts, blueberries, chopped peaches, bananas, or apples right before baking, if desired. Or sprinkle cinnamon on top.

We are having a quiet day today.  Hope everyone has a wonderful Labor Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment