Sunday, April 19, 2015

Musing about Weaving

We moved West a bit today (Sunday,) backtracking to Flagstaff, AZ. On Monday we are going to the Grand Canyon! I am very excited about the trip. Bob and I thought about it and decided we really wanted to see it now rather than put it off, and since we have the time it works out just fine.

My striped cloth I'm weaving is coming along. I am a slow weaver, savoring the time I spend at my loom. I'm not one to spend hours every day weaving--it's too hard on my body. But I enjoy it so much.

I  have been weaving for about 30 years, and have owned 4 and 8 harness looms up to 36" wide. But my favorite looms have always been rigid heddle looms. I know a lot of people who feel that only floor looms are "real looms." Of course, there are some weavers who prefer specialized looms that have 16 or 32 harnesses, and rarely limit themselves to 8 harnesses. I also know folks who weave intricate designs using only a backstrap loom. Which ones are "real weavers?"  Answer: They all are!

I'll leave you, today, dear blog reader, with this inspirational poster (click to embiggen.)






No comments:

Post a Comment