Thursday, June 25, 2015

Lessons Learned

One thing that happened in the aftermath of the big storm was that all three of my daughters were out of gas when disaster struck. Local gas stations were either not open due to the power outage or else there were scary long lines, reminiscent to me of the gas lines in the '70's (that dates me, eh?) We had a full tank of gas in our car and were able to lend it to my daughter when she went out for supplies this morning. But what if we had had to evacuate for some reason? And roads were crammed with bumper to bumper traffic?  It is important to keep a vehicle gassed up and not let the tank go below half full. This is especially true with the motorhome, to be able to bug out in case a hurricane approaches or some other natural disaster occurs.

I'll just step down off my soapbox now.

Today Bob and I went for annual eye exams, then returned to continue working on the pond. Kristen used the shop vac to clean the mud from the bottom, then rinsed and vacuumed a couple more times until it was clean. We installed a new pond filter and filled the pond and we're excited to see it come together. It looked so nice! Unfortunately, there must be a leak somewhere in the lining because the level dropped after a couple of hours. Sigh.  If we can find it, we can patch it. Otherwise it's going to need a new liner and more work.  I would love to see that project completed before we leave!

Bernie came over today and is making Kristen and me frames for each of us. Kristen has a print that needs framing and I have a cross stitched picture that Kristen made me years ago. It needs a new frame so it can be hung in the motorhome.

Bob stayed busy all day doing odd jobs around Kristen's house. We are both pretty tired right now. At least the power stayed on! Life is good.

Happy birthday to my youngest granddaughter, Eve today. She is two years old.



No comments:

Post a Comment