Sunday, June 28, 2015

OASIS Farm in Red Bank, NJ

Even though the weather was a bit iffy, I had a wonderful day on Saturday with my good friend, April. She had invited me to the Breakfast Cafe at Oasis Farm in Red Bank, NJ. April is an adjunct staff member at OASIS and teaches students how to weave.
I arrived at the Farm and was struck by the beauty of the setting, a lovely old farmhouse. Oasis provides an educational experience and vocational training for adults with autism.
On the porch I was greeted by a student who led us to our table in the dining room. Our meal was prepared by students, under the guidance of staff members, and was delicious. The students did a great job serving our table and making me feel welcome, and most of the food served was produced right here at the farm.

After our yummy meal April took me on a tour of the place. I got to make friends with some of the animals.


Afterwards I saw the weaving studio. April has some great looms to work with including a Leclerc Fanny counterbalance loom, a Dorset, and a 32" Ashford Rigid Heddle loom, to name just a few. The students learn to weave tote bags, yoga eye pillows, Inkle bands for goat and dog collars, and other items that can be purchased at the Farm store. The students also spin their own yarn on a Louet spinning wheel.

Please note:  OASIS Farm may only be visited by appointment, with no drop-ins allowed.  The Breakfast Cafe is by reservation only and takes place on Saturday mornings. 

After seeing everything at the Farm we took a drive over to A Stitch in Time in Farmingdale, NJ, a nice little yarn shop filled with customers knitting and shopping. We also stopped in to a consignment store and the Collingwood Flea Market. I enjoyed the day with my friend :)



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely blog mention, Trisha! It was GREAT seeing you again after following all your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks April! I always have a good time when we get together :)

    ReplyDelete