Saturday, August 8, 2015

Boston


On Friday my sister Cheryl drove Bob and me into Boston to visit my niece, Lori. It was so nice to see Lori, as it had been two years since we last saw her. We sat outside on her deck and enjoyed her fabulous view.
Before we drove on, Cheryl introduced us to a little cafe and bakery, called Flour, where we had some really yummy sandwiches. I would go back to that restaurant!
Then we headed off to Bunker Hill to meet up with my niece, Pam, her mother Janice, and Khloe.  Bunker Hill is, as you will recall from your history books, the site of a famous Revolutionary War battle. While the patriot militia unfortunately lost that very bloody battle, half of the British troops that fought on Breeds Hill and Bunker Hill were lost as well, and a short time later the Continental Army was formed.  If the patriots had had more ammunition they might have been victorious; when the ammo ran out the militia continued to fight on with rocks, against the bayonets of the British.

We climbed Bunker Hill, but Bob and I declined to attempt the 294 steps to the top of the monument. I did it in my youth with my dad, but my knees are too old now. Cheryl and Khloe went 2/3 of the way up before deciding that was enough climbing!
Bunker Hill Museum is right across the street from the monument so we popped in to learn a little bit more. Then we were off for some fortification, in the form of ice cream.
 It took us a while to get out of Boston and I was really glad my sister was driving! She's used to driving in Boston and it's not the most driver-friendly city I've ever been in. But it was worth it--Boston is one of my favorite cities to visit.






No comments:

Post a Comment