Monday, August 3, 2015

Fruitlands

 Bob and I visited Fruitlands today in Harvard, Mass. It has a fascinating history.

In 1843 Bronson Alcott, along with his wife, Abigail (Abba) and children Anna (11 yrs old,) Louisa (10 yrs old,) Elizabeth (8 yrs old,) and May (3 yrs old) participated in the Fruitlands Experiment. The Alcotts and friend Charles Lane purchased a property in Harvard to prove that their way of life was viable.  They considered themselves Transcendentalists and intended to live off the fruit of the land (hence the name Fruitlands.) Transcendentalism was a social order whose members believed in eating no animal products; no meat, dairy, eggs, honey, butter, or cheese.  They also avoided coffee, tea, molasses, and rice which was processed by slavery practices. They wore no wool which was "stolen from sheep" or leather, nor did they use cotton which was obtained through the exploitation of slaves. They avoided beets, carrots, potatoes, and other root vegetables because they "showed a lower nature by growing downward."

Nowadays we know people who are vegans and who avoid products that are obtained through the exploitation of others, and our eyebrows don't even rise. But back in the 1800s this was a radical concept.
It was upon the shoulders of Abba Alcott that the bulk of the work fell.  Although fully in favor of this experiment, she was in charge of the cooking, cleaning, harvesting, and the education of her daughters as Bronson traveled in an attempt to drum up new recruits. While Bronson gave speeches, wore warm boots, and ate in taverns, the Alcott women wore linen on their feet and waited on Charles Lane and his family.

By January of 1844 the food had run out and the Fruitlanders were cold. It was a brutal winter. Lane and his family left the group to join the Shakers, who believed in celibacy, and urged the Alcotts to do the same. When Bronson suggested that his family consider this, Abba took her family and returned to Concord. Bronson followed, but fell into a depression and for two weeks was unable to get out of bed.

We had a nice chat with the docent as we looked at all the treasures in the restored farmhouse.  We saw Louisa May Alcott's artist's box...
...the attic where Louisa and her sisters slept...
...and a weaving paddle hanging by the fire.
I explained to the docent how it worked and she asked if I would like to demonstrate weaving with it when we come back to the area. I told her that I would love that, and will contact the museum next year when we know our plans.

After the farmhouse we walked up the hill to the Shaker Museum, where there was a very nice display of Shaker furniture.
I liked this poster (below) showing where all the Shaker communities were (there are four practicing Shakers left in Maine; three are in their 80's or older and one is a new member in his late 20's) and another one that shows the difference in chair finials so you can identify where your chair was made.

Upstairs we found a rocking chair that belonged to Mother Ann, the woman who founded the Shakers in 1780.  Early Shakers believed 
that Mother Ann was Christ reborn in female form.  It was interesting that her chair was not a traditional Shaker-style but is classic Windsor-style.
Here are some Shaker-woven needlebooks. Just lovely.

I look forward to returning next year.

Later in the day my sister Cheryl picked me up and we went consignment-store shopping.  Even though I didn't buy anything I did find a place where I could sell my little Steiff animals on consignment.  I've been wondering where I could sell them.

I took Bob to Kimball Farm in Westford, MA after dinner, for an ice cream cone.
I used to pass near there every week when I lived in Pepperell and I often stopped for a treat. Kimballs makes their own ice cream and I have never had better.  Be warned, a small cone is HUGE!

Just my kind of place.

No comments:

Post a Comment