Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Fun in Massachusetts

On Sunday, Bob and I drove to Portsmouth, RI to the home of my sister, Wendy, and her husband, Bill. Wendy and Bill host an annual summer cookout that gathers the family from all over.

I love to bake, and brought a batch of Salty-Sweet Butter Pecan Cookies to share. Yum! They were a big hit, and here is the link to the recipe. This recipe is a real winner. I like to lay out the cookie dough on a parchment-coated cookie sheet after rolling the tiny balls in the sugar/salt coating.  They can be touching, so as to save space. Then I freeze the dough at least a couple of hours and up to 6 weeks, moving them to a plastic freezer bag when hard. Then when I need cookies I lay the frozen balls on a new parchment-lined baking sheet. No need to defrost first! I find that they won't spread too much if frozen first--the cookies are actually improved this way.

This year we were excited to meet a new family member--our newest niece, Stella.
 What a charmer! 
Stella fighting sleep, with her mom, Pam.
Wendy and Bill live a short walk from a tiny beach where Auggie could run free and we could watch the sailboats drift by. A little slice of heaven. My other siblings and I dream of settling down in this neighborhood one day. Who knows? Maybe it will happen when we are tired of the road.

On Monday Bob and I drove to Shrewsbury, MA to see my sister Cher's new condo. She and her husband, George, passed papers on it in the morning and immediately started moving in. Bob helped George with the boxes, Cheryl started organizing her new kitchen, and I kept their 7 year old granddaughter, Khloe, engaged in a Barbie dollhouse activity. I think I had the best chore of all! 


No comments:

Post a Comment