Thursday, November 6, 2014

Behind the Wheel

Our time in New Iberia, Louisiana came to an end yesterday  morning, when we got ready to drive to Texas.  After securing items in the motorhome, we disconnected our hookups and got ready to leave.  Before we left, however, I got behind the wheel.

Bob has always done all the driving of the RV.  He had his first travel trailer years before we met, so he was an experienced RVer right from the get go when we bought our first Nomad together. The thought of towing a trailer really spooked me, so I never tried.  It is important, however, for both husband and wife to be able to drive a motorhome in case the primary driver becomes injured or ill.  So I have known for a while I would eventually have to learn.

About a week and a half ago someone at the campground mentioned that Texas residents who drive a rig 26,000 pounds or more must get a class B drivers license, which in TX is for commercial truckers.  Yikes! So there's no two ways around it, not only must I learn to drive our rig, but I will have to take a behind the wheel exam.  The problem with practicing, however, is that it is not a simple thing to just hop in the motorhome and go for a daily drive, like I did as a teenager learning to pilot a car.  It takes a lot of work to get ready, the pets have to be secured, hookups disconnected, etc.  

So yesterday morning I suggested that I take a spin around the campground before we hooked up the car.  There were very few RVs in this campground, so I didn't have to worry much about hitting anyone.  I was able to practice my turns and stopping.  It felt good, actually! Now I just have to get up the nerve to take to the road.  I'm hoping to find a behind the wheel course here in Texas.  

No comments:

Post a Comment