Saturday, July 18, 2015

A New Loom

There is not much that can tempt me these days in fiber equipment, but recently I purchased a new loom and I wanted to show it off. It is a card loom made by a man named Jonathan Seidel, and his looms are pieces of art. His website may be seen here.

Allow me to introduce you to my new card loom.  Crafted in walnut with cherry accents, it is a real beauty. I contacted Jonathan and described the loom, and he told me it was a special order made last year, identified by the straight ends rather than one straight and one pointed end.

This card loom is a "folding" loom, so it takes up little space when compacted (a good thing when you have limited storage space.)  Actually it has two main parts that are held together with little brass hooks. The folded loom also clips together with the brass hooks as well.


Note the round inkle band that I was weaving last week and have now used in place of the nylon cord that arrived with the loom. I think it's a big improvement. I have ordered a heddle from Jonathan that will match the loom, but it will be probably 4 or 5 months until he is able to make it and ship it to me.

Card weaving is an ancient form of band weaving that may be used to create very complex designs. I have woven basic bands with this method and look forward to doing more.

1 comment:

  1. cool beans loom! Looking forward to your first project!

    ReplyDelete