Saturday, September 24, 2016

The Smokey Mountain Spinnery

We are really enjoying our time here in Pigeon Forge, TN. While the campground is a little tight on space, people are very friendly and easy to talk with, and there are little spots that are private and welcoming.
I have started weaving a new möbius cowl, Saori-style, on my 12" Ashford Knitters Loom, and am enjoying the clasped weft technique. I took all the shades of turquoise that I had in cotton and threw them into this piece, with a little pop of teal, red, and orange. When the scarf portion of this has been woven I will weave part of the fringe together to make a circle and (hopefully) a twist.
Yesterday Bob and I drove into Gatlinburg, TN, about 25 minutes away, to check out a weaving and spinning shop called the Smokey Mountain Spinnery.
This place is amazing, with a wonderful selection of looms, spinning wheels, yarns, and knitting and rug hooking supplies. I had done a little bit of rug hooking as a teenager, and may just get into it again one day. But not right away--I think I have enough to keep me busy!
The owner of the shop, Tamie Parton (I didn't ask her if she was related to you-know-who) was very friendly and knowledgable. I found some 5/2 cotton colors I'll need for some upcoming bands I want to weave. 

Later, we drove through some gorgeous country, stopped at Walmart for some necessities, and went home to relax. I got some more weaving done and baked some homemade sesame seed burger buns for dinner, to go with our hamburgers that Bob grilled to perfection. Yum. Juicy burgers from the grill on homemade buns, and a nice green salad. No one eats better than we do!




No comments:

Post a Comment