Monday, December 7, 2015

Geronimo Springs Museum and Christmas Crafting

We have had two whole days off in a row, Sunday and Monday, and it has been a busy two days. On Sunday Bob and I went to see the Geronimo Springs Museum in Truth or Consequences. I love small town museums, and this one did not disappoint us.
There were lots of rooms full of exhibits. Below we see the teller's window for the First National Bank.
 A beautiful quilt was on display, with tiny stitches.

 This room was full of different types of cowboy hats (who knew there were so many types?) and local cattle brands.
 The skull of a mastodon was found here in T or C. Amazing.
 Clothing, saddles, and handwoven saddle blankets were displayed in another room.
 Arrowheads!! I've never seen so many! This was just one part of the extensive collection. Much of it was displayed in frames like the set above. There were beautiful designs made from the arrowheads.
 I loved the cowboy art on the walls.
 There was an actual historic log cabin that was moved to this site from the Gila Wilderness, and was full of a homesteader's belongings.
The pottery in this museum was impressive. Many pieces were intact. Other bowls had a hole punched into the center, which was done when a person died and the bowl was buried with her. 

Today (Monday) I woke up and decided to get some projects done.  I made a "Captain Underpants" cape for my daughter, Kristen to give to my grandson, Adam.
I also finished weaving a scarf that I started a couple of days ago. It was inspired by the Addi sock-knitting machine Santa scarf that I have been admiring. Since I don't have a sock knitting machine, I decided to weave it instead.  I have details on my project page on Ravelry here.
Besides all the crafting, I have been baking bread, too. We have a potluck tomorrow and I am bringing garlic bow knots. Busy, busy, busy!

4 comments:

  1. Glad you are enjoying T or C. Cute scarf too !

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is lots to do in the area close enough for day trips. If you like old ghost towns check out Chloride, NM and Lake Valley, NM. Chloride is just a few miles off I-25 from the Elephant Butte exit. There is a very interesting history about the General Store that is there so try to go there on a day that is it open to the public. You can check on the Internet for information. Deer Valley is a few miles from Hillsboro which is also a very interesting town to visit. Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions! We look forward to seeing more of the area. :)

      Delete