Tuesday, May 5, 2015

We Arrive in Missouri

We have settled in for the next week or two in the Branson, MO area, after a long and winding road to get here. The scenery was beautiful, more wooded and mountainous than the area of Oklahoma that we were in this morning. Besides hills we also saw a lot of beef cattle and picturesque farms.
Bob and I have never been to Missouri so we are looking forward to A) some rest from the traveling we've been doing, and B) seeing some of the fun that Branson has to offer.  We may have to say goodbye temporarily to all the sun we've been enjoying, though, because according to the weather reports we are in for a few days of rain. :(

But that's ok, because I have projects to do! Maybe a little sewing, a little weaving, it's all good.

Whenever we cross into a new state I like to look up the state's nickname ("The Show Me State") and to see what songs have been written about it. This is probably a mistake because I tend to get songs stuck in my head. I've been humming music from "Oklahoma" for days. When I looked up Missouri songs I found nothing we were familiar with, but I did find guidelines someone had noted for writing new songs about this state. They suggested that themes ..."can be built upon to capture the spirit of the state include limestone, sinkholes, caves, rolling hills, wheat, corn, and extreme winter weather." Really??? A song about your state's sinkholes? What even rhymes with sinkholes, anyway?

We are parked across from two Tiffins: a Phaeton and an Allegro Bus. I expect we'll be introducing ourselves to our neighbors soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment