Monday, May 4, 2015

Will Rogers and Rope Twirling

Our campsite in Oologah (pronounced "OO-luh-guh ") Oklahoma is a lovely one and we are enjoying our stay. We were lucky to arrive on a Sunday and not on a Friday or Saturday, because I am told that weekends are typically all booked this time of year. The temperatures are in the low 80's and we have a nice shady spot to sit under the trees. And the lake is within sight. Life is good!
  
Bob and I visited the Will Rogers Memorial Museum in Claremore, OK today.
Now, Will Rogers was before my time. He was even before my parents' time, as they were only 4 and 5 years old when he died in a plane crash in Alaska.  But there never was a more interesting man. One quarter Cherokee, he was born in Oklahoma (to that state's everlasting pride), and was an indifferent student in school but a master student in life. He was no politician but was friends with five presidents. As a young man he joined a Wild West Show, moved on to Vaudeville, had his own radio show, and starred in many movies. He could ride and he could rope.

Our guide today, Andy Hogan, was wonderful. He looked and sounded just like Will Rogers, and when I told him that my childhood dream was to learn how to twirl a rope he showed me how to do it. I was so excited! I could really do it!
Bob and I watched a fascinating film of Will Roger's life, and saw a room that was a replica of the man's study.

I felt like I would have enjoyed knowing this man. If you ever find yourself in Oologah, OK, check out his museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment